April 11, 2018

Devils Slide Trail to Tahquitz Peak, I mean... half way



We moved! Visit the same post on the new site here:

>> New Website <<


one of the weekends in March we came all the way to Tahquitz Peak to catch the last snow, that day we human failed to wake up early so after 2 hours of driving we ended up started to hike around 1pm after dealing with the forest permit and parking pass.






    




 Southern California had so much rain in March, I was pretty happy and all ready to see snow. but  probably wishing for rain is dangerous, the day we came the main parking lot was closed due to ice. 








we were told there are only limited 7 parking spots at the trailhead and might be all taken, rangers encouraged us to do other hikes instead but I decided to take a chance.




    




when we arrived at the trailhead, it was packed, and people just parked along the windy road, so we did the same thing.








there were tones of people with sleds and plastic boards, but when we actually started hiking the trail was quite empty, so I assumed they may just stay around the parking area instead of actually doing the 8 miles.

we met a photographer who took a photo of Actaeas and told us we can find Actaeas' picture on his Instagram, but my brain is no bigger than a gold fish, I can't recall his ID anymore. I definitely want to see how Actaeas looks under other people's camera. 




   




Actaeas couldn't stop eating snow once he stepped out form the car, I could pick up and feed him a chunk of snow, this finicky fur ball will gladly gobbled it as if its a piece of steak.  no veggie, not fruit or carbs, just meat and snow, hum... I get it.







trail is gorgeous and easy to navigate, totally worth that 2 hours drive
I don't know how this place will look like in summer but I do believe I will prefer visiting this mountain when its in white



    



unfortunately we didn't finish it because Quentin didn't get much sleep the night before, we stopped at 4 miles and I made a decision to go back. to conquer a hike is one thing, but I also want our memories to be joyful not suffering whenever think back, Tahquitz Peak can wait.







I don't want to admit I too was eating snow as shave ice all the way even though we brought water to this hike, I turned my head away whenever water bottle was offered... and I also don't want to admit that I got myself and Quentin sick for a week because of snow eating.


Actaeas was fine though

:3














Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...