October 20, 2013

[Food] Food Intolerance/Allergies in dogs



Actaeas had diarrhea and soft stool on and off in the past few weeks, I tried to limit the food source in order to figure out what is causing the problem with no luck. we had try him on different meat, dry food or home made, pumpkins, probiotics, chicken with rice or even bone to firm up his stool, but he still farts in my bed, and that smelled truly pretty bad... 


 I had Actaeas tested 2 times on blood and stool, turned out all negative, the vet told us if we want to do a blood test especially for allergies that would cost $450, so he suggested me to put him on prescription diet instead without knowing what's the cause of diarrhea.








to be honest I am not a big fan of that certain brand and I don't see the ingredients in that dry food will be helping Actaeas or me to find out the issues, so I turned to Glacier Peak Holistics test which I saw on Maya's blog, it costs only $80 for the test




 




I figured it would be no harm to give it a try and see what are probable concerns in his body, although using only fur and saliva for allergies tests, the accuracy of the results are still controversial, but using prescription diet is more like trial and error and beating around the bush for me.








I brush Actaeas teeth everyday so scrubbing the cotton in his mouth is not a big deal for him 








 I sent out the samples and got the result after a week, the report is quite amazing and kinda explains why Actaeas non stop having loose stool, wasn't surprised to see chicken is in red,  I found out the reason why I could never eliminate the problem food sources was because either I switched him from poultry to salmon, or never cut out sweat potato in his diet, also during the time i fed him beef, he just had his last vaccine shots.












I switched Actaeas on cod fish after I got this report, and he is doing excellent with out gas and soft stool for 2 days, I am so pleased and glad to see him eats better, so far this test helps us a lot and I will be continually keep an eye on his diet. 






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...